Thursday, January 18, 2007

Recreation Centers

There is a recreation center in the town where I work. The town has fewer than 1600 people in it, but it has a real "gym" where I can go to run on treadmills or ellipticals, row, lift weights, bike, and watch television. Inevitably, there are always groups of grade school students hanging around, causing mischief, waiting for basketball practices to start or finish, making boogley eyes at me through the large, sound-proof glass wall that separates the exercisors from the commotion of the hallway and gymnasium. These students are generally unsupervised by the teenage staff members sitting in the office, bent over homework.

I met a teacher from a neighboring town earlier this week. She teaches the same subject that I teach, and she's had about 6 years of experience. We have struck up a blossoming friendship (by the way, I misspelled blossom in the city spelling bee when I was in grade school) and intend to continue in our workout schedules so as to cross paths often.

Despite the age difference, she is one of the first people with whom I have felt any true connection in this new place. I am beginning to remember how refreshing it is to have community with others.

-H

1 comment:

Eric and Liz said...

Han,
Your new friendship makes me think of my growing (slowly!) family/community here. For me, it gets to be fun to "run into" people I know. Just the other day, I saw somebody I know walking her dog as I was on the way to the bus..AND then I saw another person I know on the bus. Unintentional meetings like that are still rare-especially in the city, but this small town girl cherishes them. (It's a bit like the sun peeking out!)
Lizzy