Wednesday, June 6, 2007

The Wordless Music Series



The Worless Music Series is a series of concerts putting professional concert musicians (i.e. a concert pianist) with popular bands that produce wordless music (many are electronically manipulated in the same vein as Radiohead).
An earlier "counterpart" to this idea is "Lider ohne Worte" (Songs Without Words) by romantic composer Felix Mendelsshon.

I have been a fan of wordless popular music for a while now and this concert series strikes a resonant chord with me. The band I gravitate to most that produces music without words or with minimal words is Sigur Ros (W). A friend down the hall from me in my dorm my first year of college gave me a CD of theirs.

I hope to see one of these concerts in the future (long trip!), not only because the idea is appealing, but I am also interested in the bands that are performing/have performed. I disagree, however, with the philosophy of the program, "the various boundaries and genere distinctions segregating music today...are an artificial construction in need of dismantling." There is worth in distinguishing popular music and classical music as low and high art, respectively. Popular musical artists are usually more stylistically constrained and many are low-readers of music. "Classically-trained" musicians are usualy more versitile and produce a finer art form.

These are bands that are scheduled to play in the series:

Do Make Say Think (W)
Mum (W)

No comments: